Move with intention: Be purposeful when you choose your activities.
• Choose activities that suit your personality and mood.
• Choose activities that meet your body’s physical needs.
• Move with the goal of feeling better when you’re finished.
Move with attention: Be attentive during your activities.
• Become aware of your surroundings, physical sensations, thoughts, and feelings.
• Listen to your body’s cues of intensity, discomfort, and fatigue.
• Appreciate your body’s stamina, flexibility, and strength.
Body-Mind-Heart Scan during Physical Activity
Become centered:Tune into the experience and become aware of your body and your surroundings. Pay attention to the sights, sounds, aromas, weather, and other people in your environment.
Focus on your physical sensations: Connect with your body. Tune into your breath, your heart rate, and other sensations. How does your body feel as you move? How do different activities and intensities feel? What do you need to do to make it more comfortable, challenging, or enjoyable?
Focus on your thoughts: What thoughts are running through your mind? What feelings are your thoughts creating? How are your thoughts affecting your experience with this activity?
Focus on your feelings: Become aware of your emotions. What feelings do you have about being active? Are you having fun or feeling punished? Are you enjoying the atmosphere, the other people, and the experience?
When you move with the intention of caring for yourself, you’ll choose activities that you find enjoyable while still challenging. When you’re attentive, you’ll appreciate your body’s incredible capacity to move.
Bring your full awareness to your physical activity this week to experience the power of mindfulness. (See FreeTreat e-book for details).
Please post a comment to tell us about some of your mindful movements.
Next post: FreeTreat Activity 3: Love What You Eat